Exploring sound conducted by movement.

2018. This interdisciplinary short project was part of the Programming Course at Pforzheim University. 

With the brief, do whatever you want. 

After brain storming and discussing possible directions our team,

Eva, Kevin and me, wanted to explore an idea that allows people to create and influence sound by moving their body in space.

Become a conductor in your living room and let the music

dance to you - instead of the other way around. 

Conductor.jpg

Credit: Alexander B. Thompson

It works! Controlling pitch, beat and volume with our arms and legs.

Working with a Kinect & Processing was a fun & enriching challenge.

Concept.jpg

Getting the concept down on paper.

Having people from different creative fields in one team was great. We were able to approach ideas from different perspectives and merge them into one concept.

Sketch.jpg

Translating the idea into code.

By watching many tutorials and tweaking some excisting open source sketches we eventually managed to write a working code of our concept in Processing.

Data Points.png

Adjusting each parameter.

During an iterative process we tested the construct consisting of a Kinect V1 and a sketch in Processing, defined and adjusted all necessary parameters for the interaction. 

Eva.jpeg

Having a fun time.

After transferring our concept from paper to a physical experience we had a great time playing and being the conductor for a piano and drums. Just by moving our bodies.

What I've learned.

Working with a Kinect and Processing for the first time can be a frustrating task, especially if you consider the lack of expertise in that field and only having a few days to execute. Through the help of my team mates and watching many tutorials I was able to get a better understanding of programming and how to change existing code or add new features. I also learned that programming is a great tool to ideate and try different versions of an application immediately on the spot by just tweaking some lines. Going from initially rather complex ideas to a simple solution helped us to eventually deliver a working prototype in a short period of time.